Τρίτη 6 Δεκεμβρίου 2016

Estimating the impact from Fukushima in Southern Spain by 131I and Accelerator Mass Spectrometry detection of 129I

1-s2.0-S0265931X16X00112-cov150h.gif

Publication date: January 2017
Source:Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, Volume 166, Part 1
Author(s): J.M. Gómez-Guzmán, J.M. López-Gutiérrez, R. García-Tenorio, L. Agulló, J.I. Peruchena, G. Manjón, M. García-León
After the Fukushima accident, large amounts of radionuclides were discharged to the atmosphere. Some of them travelled long distances and were detected in places as far from Japan as Spain a few days after the accident. One of these radionuclides was 131I. Its isotope 129I (T1/2 = 15.7 × 106 years) was also expected to follow the same pathway. In this work, we present the results for the 129I concentration in the same atmospheric samples from Seville (Spain) where 131I activity was measured in 2011 by Baeza et al. (2012). 129I concentrations in aerosol and gaseous samples showed concentrations in the order of 104 and 105 atoms/m3, typically higher in the gaseous form with respect to the aerosol form. Also 129I in rainwater was measured, showing concentrations in the order of 108 atoms/L. The results show a very good agreement with the 131I profile, showing that, if background from other sources is not relevant, it is possible to estimate the impact of similar events years after them thanks to the sensitivity of techniques like Accelerator Mass Spectrometry.



from Radiology via xlomafota13 on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2hbfpdS
via IFTTT

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Σημείωση: Μόνο ένα μέλος αυτού του ιστολογίου μπορεί να αναρτήσει σχόλιο.